PSEB (Pakistan Software Export Board)
About Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB)
Duties & Functions of the Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB)
The Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) has the following functions:
- Formulate an IT industry development strategy for Pakistan
- The impact of public policy on the IT industry in Pakistan
- Registration and facilitation of the establishment of new IT companies and call centers in Pakistan.
- Plans and developments of “Software Technology Parks” and IT Parks throughout Pakistan
- Developing a marketing plan that helps domestic companies interact with foreign firms in the information technology sector as well as attracting and assisting foreign firms to launch their software development houses in Pakistan.
The Registration of Software Houses, IT Companies and Call Centres with PSEB
The role of Information Technology and computers are integral to the smooth operation of all departments such as human resources, financing, manufacturing, and security within an organization. It is almost impossible for any company to function effectively without IT hardware and software. To compete with the errors or mistakes that limit a company from being able to properly use its equipment, manufacturing and production companies will always need IT and software products.
Individuals and companies can contact these firms to satisfy their needs, which plays a crucial role in maintaining Pakistan’s business prospects. Traditional technologies that have an impact on our lives include technical support, computer programming, call centers, software development, web development, system analysis, IT security, network engineering, content management, process automation, business automation, mobile communication, data mining, and e-commerce.
In Pakistan, most of the major cities such as Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad are important in generating revenues for foreign countries through the export of IT and call center services. Companies’ awareness about information technology and call centers is increasing at this time due to a high demand for IT services. IT and Call Center services exported from Pakistan are becoming increasingly popular. Company Registration in Pakistan is increasing each year due to the high demand for software houses and call centers.
Pakistan Offers Tax Exemptions to IT Companies
The revenue generated by exports of Information Technology is exempt from Pakistani taxation up to 30th June 2025 with the condition that foreign exchange earned from other countries is remitted to Pakistan through normal banking channels. Services provided by IT companies in the domestic market are taxable. To qualify for Tax Exemption from the Income Tax Department in Pakistan, a company must register with PSEB.
Registration of Software House, IT Companies and Call Centres with Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB)
The Government of Pakistan encourages the registration of software companies with the Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) to monitor IT remittances from abroad. IT companies that provide quality services are required to be members of PSEB, an internationally recognized industry board.Software companies in Pakistan develop mobile applications, games, and computer software. Among PSEB’s responsibilities is promoting Pakistan’s IT industry in local and international markets in the areas of human capital development, R&D, strategic planning, innovation, and e-marketing services, including telemarketing, medical transcription, and technology enhancement.
In Pakistan, the Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) is striving to encourage the IT industry of Pakistan to grow both locally and overseas and to make Pakistan the second-largest exporter of IT products in South Asia.
By evaluating future circumstances and expansion requirements, each person selects the best possible choice in business structure. Multiple business models are available such as Sole Proprietorships, Partnerships, Single Member Companies (SMCs), Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs), and Private Limited Companies. Before choosing a Company structure, it is recommended to consult with a professional lawyer.
In Pakistan, especially in Karachi and Islamabad, the corporate form of business (registration as a private limited company) is the most comfortable business structure because it allows a single person as well as multiple directors to conduct business. There is some difference between the partnership business and the company but both are legal entities.
In a legal sense, a ‘Private Limited Company’ is an entity which has a minimum of 2 directors. However, for the last few years, a single person can also register a Single Member Company (SMC-Pvt) Limited. Shares of private limited companies cannot be traded publicly and there may be a maximum of 50 shareholders. Shareholders have limited liability, and the shares are not for sale on the open market. Security and Exchange Commission of Pakistan is the registering authority for Private Limited Companies and is regulated under Companies Act 2017.
Check out How to Register a Private Limited Company in Pakistan if you want a step-by-step guide for the Private Limited Company Registration Process.
Partnership Firms are formed under the Partnership Act 1932 by two or more persons joining together to start a business and sharing profits and losses. Profit and loss are divided based on a written agreement signed between the Partners, which is known as Partnership Deed.
For a step-by-step guide on how to register a partnership firm in Pakistan, check out our Guide How to Register a Partnership Firm in Pakistan?
Advantages of Registration of Software House and Call Centres with PSEB
Software Houses, IT Companies and Call Centers can get advantages and benefit by PSEB Registration:
- Certification of international standards as quality and performance achievements in the IT industry
- Members, employees, and investors of PSEB may be assisted with visa
- PSEB IT portal for business promotion
- Increasing credibility in the IT market
- It is permitted to repatriate profits
- PSEB registration is required for call centers to be legal
- Several business segments will be covered in free workshops
- Competitive bandwidth rates for quality services
- According to the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001, IT exports from Pakistan are exempt from taxes. This exemption is valid for the next 12 years
- Global sponsorship for participation in upcoming IT-related events and exhibitions
The opportunity to participate in IT-related local events in Pakistan as well as meetings with foreign investors and delegates
Why we need Registration with PSEB?
Though, It is optional to register with PSEB for an IT company, nevertheless, in order to enjoy the exclusive benefits of membership, every IT firm needs to be a member of PSEB. Registration with PSEB is a mandatory requirement for all call centres in Pakistan that operate under the supervision of the PSEB. Registration of the principal place of a call centre business and its branches is also mandatory. The PTA and FIA initiate legal proceedings against call centers operating in Pakistan if they are not registered with PSEB.
List of Documents Required for Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) Registration
(For IT Company & Call Centre)
- Business / Company NTN issued by FBR
- The NICs of all Directors (Company)/ Partners (Firm)/ Proprietors (Sole Proprietorships)
- Attested Copies of passports of Directors (Company)/ Partners (Firm) (Only for foreign nationals)
- An attested copy of Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association (For companies)
- Attested Copy of Inc. Form-II (For companies)
- An attested copy of Form 29 (for SECP-registered companies only)
- A certified copy of the incorporation certificate (only for SECP registered companies)
- An attested copy of the Partnership deed (for partnership-based firms)
- A certified copy of the Form-C (for registered firms)
- Original Bank Account Maintenance Certificate
Registration Charges of Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) - For Software Houses
Yearly registration fee Software Houses (Started with within one year): Rs. 5000/- only
For Software Houses already working from more than one year: Rs. 10000/- only
Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) Registration Charges - For Call Centres
Yearly registration fee for Principal office: Rs. 20000/- only
Yearly registration fee or Renewal for every branch associated: Rs. 10000/- only
Provincial Tax Authorities
Disclaimer: All information is provided on this portal solely for informational purposes. This portal is not affiliated with the Government website. Please note that this disclaimer also applies to our website, and we may refer to it as ‘us’, ‘we’, ‘our’ or ‘website’. The information on the website has been gathered from various government and non-government sources. We disclaim any liability for errors, injuries, losses, or damages arising from the use of this information. We also disclaim any liability for the availability and authenticity of this information. Our services consist of filling out forms, providing legal advice, and assisting our clients. The departmental processing of the registration forms is not our responsibility. You will have to use a service fee for professionally preparing your application, submitting it to the relevant authorities, and coordinating your application process. You will have to pay any Government fees.